Welcome to the Online CAT Study Material
Welcome aspirants to this free CAT study material course. CAT is a management aptitude test conducted by the IIMs primarily to evaluate and shortlist candidates for the post graduate programme. It is a computer-based exam and a candidate has to follow the due process of registering in order to appear for this exam conducted once a year. Check out CAT 2023 complete syllabus, top colleges, study plan
We advise you to make your own short notes while going through the content of this CAT Crash Course.
The strategy for CAT 2023 is simple:
- Have grip over fundamentals of VARC, LRDI and Quant: At least one-third of questions in CAT exam are easily doable if you have fundamentals clear. The fundamental means you have basic knowledge of subject. For example, in quant if you have grip over number system, algebra, trigonometry, geometry etc, you can easily give answers to one-third questions.
- Once you have your fundamentals in place, you need to identify the areas of your strength and weaknesses. The question which you can solve easily (within 1-2 minutes) is your strength. The question which find to solve (takes 2-5 minutes) is your weakness.
- Focus on important topics. Analyze previous year papers and identify topics which have maximum weightage. Then master these topics.
- Attempt at least 15-20 full length mock tests. Also do give sectional tests.
Before proceeding further, first go through Exam Pattern and Syllabus of the exam.
CAT Study Material
We have divided this free CAT study material into three sections:
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative Ability
Under this CAT complete course, you will find video tutorials for CAT Preparation covering the complete CAT syllabus. We will also provide PDFs and documents with articles and questions for CAT Preparation wherever required.
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension Study Material for CAT 2023
To effectively prepare for VARC section, you should make the habit of Reading at least one hour a day. Start with any topic of your interest. It can be sports, finance, novels etc. Once you get into the habit of reading, move on to read from diverse sources like the Economist, Economic times, Washington Post, The Hindu etc.
Follow the simple strategy:
- Solve one Reading Comprehension (RC) everyday
- Once you complete reading, make a summary of what you have read.
- Do not spend too much time on improving your vocabulary, since if you read regularly your vocabulary will automatically improve over the period of time.
So lets’ now dive into the content of our CAT free course:
Reading Comprehension for CAT
To master the reading comprehension section of CAT, start reading at least one editorial on daily basis each from The Hindu and Mint. Prefer to read online version as it will help you to get into the habit of reading online, since your actual exam shall also take place on computer screen. Watch this video to know the Reading Comprehension Tricks for CAT.
Read following books The Secret, The Alchemist, Rich Dad Poor Dad, Power of Subconscious Mind, Think and Grow Rich
Next read Aeon Essays. For beginners, these essays may be difficult to comprehend. But as you get into habit into reading it, you will observe considerable improvement in your RC skills.
Lets’ now talk about the reading speed. It may take 3 to 6 months to build your reading speed.
Try solving RC’s given below:
- Reading Comprehension Passages
- Para Summary: Watch this video
- Para Completion: Watch this video
- Para Jumbles: Watch this video
- Odd Sentence Out: Watch this video
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning Study Material
The reasoning section of CAT exam is divided into two sections viz. Logical Reasoning (LR) and Data Interpretation (DI).
To start learning the basics of logical reasoning, straight away purchase the book How to prepare logical reasoning by Arun Sharma
The key to success in this section is PRACTICE, PRACTICE and more PRACTICE. Try to practice lot of puzzles and logical reasoning questions to improve your problem solving skills. Let’s get going now with this CAT guide:
- Linear Arrangements: Watch this video.
- Circular Arrangements: Watch this video
- Arrangement Puzzles/Einstein Puzzles: Watch this video
- Routes and Networks: Watch this video
- Games and Tournaments: Watch this video. Read this PDF
- Scheduling: Watch this video
- Cubes and Dices: Watch this video
- Blood Relations: Watch this video
- Truth Liar: Watch this video
- 2D Space: Watch this video
- Logical Grouping: Watch this video
- Data Interpretation
- Bar Graphs: Watch this video
- Line Graphs: Watch this video
- Pie Charts: Watch this video
- Unconventional Charts:
- Tables: Watch this video
- Venn Diagrams: Watch this video
- Data Sufficiency: Watch this video
- Caselets: Watch this video
Quantitative Ability Study Material for CAT
The Quantitative Ability section tests your problem solving skills. The questions are of 10th/12th standards mathematics. The trick is to first go through the concepts and then attempts practice questions followed by practice tests. So lets’ get started topic by topic in this CAT Course 2023. Before moving forward, watch this video on How to Prepare for Quants?
Best books for CAT 2023
These are some must have important books for CAT: