The Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) was launched in 2003 with the objectives of correcting regional imbalances in the availability of affordable/ reliable tertiary healthcare services and also to augment facilities for quality medical education in the country.
Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana Components
Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) has two components:-
- Setting up of AIIMS like Institutions: Total 22 new AIIMS have been announced so far under this component. Out of 22, 6 AIIMS are already functional, 16 more AIIMS are announced. Out of which 15 AIIMS are approved by the Cabinet.
Each New AIIMS to add:
- State of the art Modular OTs and diagnostics facilities.
- 15-20 super specialty departments.
- 750 Beds.
- 100 UG (MBBS) seats.
- 60 B.Sc. (Nursing ) seats.
- Focus on PG education and Research
- Upgradation of Government Medical College(GMC)/ Institution: 75 Projects have been considered under this component under different phases:-
- Phase I & II: 19 GMCs
- Phase lll : 39 GMCs
- Phase lV : 13 GMCs
- Phase V(A) : 2 GMCs
- Phase V(B): 2 GMCs
Each up-gradation project would be adding :-
- 8-10 Super Speciality Departments.
- Around 15 new PG seats.
- 150-250 beds
Benefits of PMSSY Scheme
- Availability of affordable tertiary health care facilities in different parts of the country
- Augmenting facilities for quality medical education in the under-served states
- Transform health education and training
- It will also lead to employment generation in various faculty and non-faculty posts in each of the institutes
- It will lead to development of apex level medical education and nursing education and connected research facilities.
Implementing Agency of PMSSY
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is implementing the scheme.
The allocation to PMSSY has increased to Rs 6,020 crore for 2020-21, up from the Rs 4,000 crore for 2019-20
We hope you liked this article on Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana. Here are some useful government schemes for you to read next:
Download this article as PDF
Click to go to RBI Grade B Preparation Page | Click to read more government schemes