Dominic Thiem defeated Nicolas Almagro to win ATP Argentina Open
- World No. 19 Dominic Thiem has defeated Spaniard Nicolas Almagro 7-6 (2), 3-6, 7-6 (4) to win the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Buenos Aires tournament
- Thiem reached the final after beating former No. 1 Rafael Nadal in the semifinals.
- He is currently the youngest player in the top 20 and top 30 of the world rankings.
Indian women beat Nepal 4-0 to bag SAG football gold
- The India women’s team won gold at the 12th South Asian Games (SAG), beating Nepal 4-0 in the final at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
- Kamala Devi scored twice. Bala Devi and Ashalata Devi were the other scorers.
- The match brought to an end India’s top women’s footballer Bembem Devi’s international career.
India beats Sri Lanka, wins the series 2-1
- India gave themselves a boost before next month’s Twenty20 World Cup at home as Ravichandran Ashwin grabbed four wickets in their series-clinching nine-wicket victory over Sri Lanka in the third and final Twenty20 international
- The off-spinner claimed three wickets in his first seven deliveries and finished with 4-8, best by an Indian bowler in this format, as Sri Lanka folded for 82, their lowest total in Twenty20 Internationals.
- Ashwin, who claimed nine wickets in three matches, grabbed both man-of-the-match and man-of-the-series awards.
Grammy 2016: Amy director Asif Kapadia wins, Anoushka loses
- While Indo-British director Asif Kapadia registered a win in Best Music Film section for his documentary Amy, it was yet another disappointing year for sitarist Anoushka Shankar.
- She lost out to Benin-born singer/songwriter Angelique Kidjo who won the award for the album, Sings.
- Anoushka was nominated in the Best World Music Album category for her solo album Home, a pure Indian classical album.
- Taylor Swift won the Grammy for Album of the Year for her blockbuster 1989.
UNICEF, BCCI launch sanitation campaign
- As a build up to the T-20 World Cup starting next month the ICC Cricket for Good and UNICEF in partnership with the BCCI launched Swachh clinics.
- A spokesperson of the event said it was a nationwide initiative that aimed at building a social movement for sanitation and toilet use as a part of open defecation-free India.
- The ICC T-20 men and women trophies were put on display during the event. The trophies passed through Dharamsala town on an open vehicle.
U K Sinha gets extension as Sebi Chairman
- UK Sinha will continue to lead India’s capital and commodities market regulator for one more year.
- The government on Monday extended Sinha’s term as the chairman of Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) till March 01, 2017.
- The Bihar-cadre IAS officer becomes the second-longest serving chief in Sebi’s over two-decade history after DR Mehta.
- Sinha took over as Sebi chairman in 2011 with a three-year term. He was given a two-year extension, which was supposed to end on February 17.
- Sinha, who joined Sebi from UTI Mutual Fund, has taken number of steps to reform securities market. He had introduced listing norms for start-ups, stringent rules for reining in manipulation and stricter policies for improvement of corporate governance.
Read previous: « Daily GK Potion – 15th February 2016
« Back to current affairs