The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has launched the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) from Gorakhpur. The scheme aims to supplement the financial needs of the farmers in procuring various inputs to ensure proper crop health and appropriate yields, commensurate with the anticipated farm income.
About Rs. 75,000 crore will be transferred to farmers’ accounts every year. A total amount of more than Rs.2000 crores has already been released to more than one crore farmers’ families across the country in the first lot of 1st installment. The programme is funded by Government of India. The Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) under the Scheme PM-KISAN is being done through the System of Public Finance Management System (PFMS). The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved that the ambit of the Pradhan Mantri KisanSamman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) would be comprehensively extended.
Features of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi
- The Scheme seeks to provide income support to all Small and Marginal landholder farmers’ families
- All land holding eligible farmer families (subject to the prevalent exclusion criteria) would avail of the benefits under this scheme. Earlier the farmers with cultivable land holding upto 2 hectare across the country were eligible
- The income support through payment of Rs.6000/- per year will be made
- The amount is being released in three 4-monthly instalments of Rs. 2000/- each over the year
- The amount to be credited into the bank accounts of the beneficiaries held in destination banks through Direct Benefit Transfer mode
- About 14.5 crore farmers are expected to benefit from scheme
- Estimated expenditure by Central Government of Rs. 87,217.50 crores for year 2019-20.
Benefits of PM-KISAN
PM-KISAN would not only provide assured supplemental income to the most vulnerable farmer families, but would also meet their emergent needs especially before the harvest season. It will help farmer in purchase of seeds, fertilizers etc. PM-KISAN would pave the way for the farmers to earn and live a respectable living.
Watch PM-KISAN on Youtube: https://youtu.be/XOypKznGXsM
We hope you liked this article. Here are some useful government scheme for you to read next:
Download this article as PDF
Click to go to RBI Grade B Preparation Page | Click to read more government schemes