Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) is a flagship scheme of the Government launched in 2017 for pregnant women and lactating mothers. PMMVY is a direct benefit transfer (DBT) scheme under which cash benefits are provided to pregnant women in their bank account directly to meet enhanced nutritional needs and partially compensate for wage loss.
Benefits of Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana
- Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM) receive a cash benefit of Rs. 5,000 in three installments on fulfilling the respective conditionality, viz. early registration of pregnancy, ante-natal check-up and registration of the birth of the child and completion of first cycle of vaccination for the first living child of the family.
- The eligible beneficiaries also receive cash incentive under Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY). Thus, on an average, a woman gets Rs. 6,000.
Implementation of PMMVY
PMMVY is implemented using the platform of Anganwadi Services scheme of Umbrella ICDS under Ministry of Women and Child Development in respect of States/ UTs implementing scheme through Women and Child Development Department/ Social Welfare Department and through Health system in respect of States/ UTs where scheme is implemented by Health & Family Welfare Department.
Progress of PMMVY
- PMMVY has achieved a significant milestone by crossing one crore beneficiaries.
- The total amount disbursed to the beneficiaries under the scheme has crossed Rs. 4,000 crores.
- Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh, Dadra & Nagar Haveli and Rajasthan are the top five States/UT in the country in implementation of PMMVY.
- Odisha and Telangana are yet to start implementation of the scheme.
- The Women and Child Development Ministry has recently organized regional workshops with state officials in Guwahati, Jaipur, and Chandigarh to prepare roadmap for faster implementation of the scheme.
States/ UTs and Districts Awarded for Best Performance under PMMVY
Union Minister of Women & Child Development and Textiles, Smriti Zubin Irani gave away the Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) awards to States, Union Territories and Districts for best performance
- States/ UTs having population of more than 1 crore: First position was awarded to the State of Madhya Pradesh, followed by Andhra Pradesh and Haryana was in the third position
- States/ UTs having population of less than 1 crore: Dadra & Nagar Haveli is in the first position. Himachal stood second and Chandigarh is at the third position.
- District level awards for States/ UTs with population of more than 1 crore: The first position went to Indore in Madhya Pradesh. Kurnool in Andhra Pradesh is in second position and South Salmara Mankachar in Assam was third
- Districts of States/ UTs having population of less than 1 crore: The first position went to Serchhip in Mizoram, second position toUnain Himachal Pradesh and Puducherry was in the third position
We hope you liked this article on Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana. Here are some useful government schemes for you to read next:
Download this article as PDF
Click to go to RBI Grade B Preparation Page | Click to read more government schemes