Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan, a flagship scheme of government of India was launched in March, 2009 with the objective to enhance access to secondary education and to improve its quality. It aims to increase the enrolment rate to 90% at secondary and 75% at higher secondary stage, by providing a secondary school within reasonable distance of every home.
Objectives of Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan
The main objectives of the scheme are:
- The scheme envisages to achieve a gross enrolment ratio of 75% from 52.26% in 2005-06 for classes IX-X within 5 years of its implementation, by providing a secondary school within reasonable distance of any habitation
- Improve the quality of education imparted at secondary level by making all secondary schools conform to prescribed norms
- Remove gender, socio-economic and disability barriers.
- Provide universal access to secondary level education by 2017, i.e. by the end of the 12th Five Year Plan
- Enhance and universalize retention by 2020
Nodal agency of the scheme
MHRD is the nodal central government ministry to coordinate RMSA with the help of RMSA State Implementation Societies (SIS) in each state
Click to go to RBI Grade B Preparation Page | Click to read more government schemes