Mission Organic Value Chain Development for North East Region (MOVCD-NER) is a sub-mission under National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture (NMSA). It is a Central Sector Scheme launched by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare for implementation in the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura, during the 12th plan period.
Objective of Mission Organic Value Chain Development for North Eastern Region
The scheme aims to development of certified organic production in a value chain mode to link growers with consumers and to support the development of entire value chain starting from inputs, seeds, certification, to the creation of facilities for collection, aggregation, processing, marketing and brand building initiative
- To develop crop commodity specific organic value chain and address gaps in organic crop production, wild crop harvesting, organic livestock management and processing handling and marketing of organic agricultural products
- To empower producers with program ownership by organizing them into FIGs with the final aim to federate into farmer producer organizations/ companies
- To replace conventional farming/subsistence farming system into local resource based, self-sustainable, high value commercial organic enterprise
- Developing commodity specific commercial organic value chain under integrated and concentrated approach with end-to-end facilities for production, processing, storage and marketing
- Development of organic parks/zones with facilities for collection, aggregation, value addition, processing, storage and market-linkages for specific commodities requiring capital intensive technology.
- Develop NER products as brands/labels through brand building and facilitating stronger marketing access under the ownership of growers‟ organizations/ companies.
- Creating state specific lead agency (Organic Commodity Board or Organic Mission) for coordinating, monitoring, supporting and financing the development and operationalization of entire value chain
- The scheme started with an average annual allocation of Rs. 134 crore during last five years has so far covered 74,880 ha area
- To double the impact the allocation has now increased to Rs. 200 crore per year with a target to cover additional 1.00 lakh ha area under 200 new FPOs over a period of 3 year period.
- MOVCDNER has also played a pivotal role in entrepreneurship development and has supported both FPCs and local entrepreneurs in establishing food business
Download this article as PDF
Click to go to RBI Grade B | NABARD Grade A | Government Schemes
Tags:Mission Organic Value Chain Development for North East Region