Sagarmala Seaplane Services Project is project initiated by Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways. Under it, the ministry is initiating the process of commencing operations of the Seaplane services, on the select routes, under a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) framework through prospective airline operators.
What is a Seaplane?
A seaplane is a fixed-wing aeroplane designed for taking off and landing on water.
Sagarmala Seaplane Services Project features
- The project execution and implementation would be through Sagarmala Development Company Ltd (SDCL), which is under the administrative control of the Ministry.
- Various airline operators would be invited to form an SPV with SDCL.
- The routes would be decided under the government’s subsidised ‘ude desh ka aam nagrik’ (UDAN) scheme.
- Several destinations are envisaged for seaplane operations. The proposed Origin-Destination pairs under Hub and Spoke model include:
- Various islands of Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep
- Guwahati Riverfront & Umranso Reservoir in Assam
- Yamuna Riverfront / Delhi (as Hub) to Ayodhaya, Tehri, Srinagar(Uttrakhand),
- Chandigarh and many other tourist places of Punjab & HP;
- Mumbai (as Hub) to Shirdi, Lonavala, Ganpatipule;
- Surat (as Hub) to Dwarka, Mandvi & Kandla;
- Khindsi Dam, Nagpur & Erai Dam, Chandrapur (in Maharashtra) and/or any other Hub & Spoke suggested by the Operator.
- One such Seaplane Service is already in operation between Kevadia and Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad, which was inaugurated by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 31st October 2020.
We hope you liked this article on Sagarmala Seaplane Services Project. Here are some useful government schemes for you to read next:
Download this article as PDF
Click to go to RBI Grade B Preparation Page | Click to read more government schemes
Tags: Sagarmala Seaplane Services Project