- Arun Kumar Jha appointed CEO, KVIC
- Arun Kumar Jha was today appointed as Chief Executive Officer of Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC).
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) is an apex organization under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, with regard to khadi and village industries within India, which seeks to – “plan, promote, facilitate, organise and assist in the establishment and development of khadi and village industries in the rural areas in coordination with other agencies engaged in rural development wherever necessary.”
- Govt. freezes Greenpeace accounts
- The government on Thursday suspended Greenpeace India’s Foreign Currency Regulation Act registration under which it receives funds from abroad.
- The government also issued a showcause notice to Greenpeace India asking why it’s registration should not be terminated.
- ‘Voice of cricket’ Australia’s Richie Benaud dies at 84
- Former Australian captain Richie Benaud, known as the “voice of cricket” to fans around the world, has died aged 84.
- Benaud, one of Australia’s most influential cricketers and much loved commentators, died overnight in his sleep.
- The 63 Test matches veteran was the first player to score 2,000 Test runs and take 200 Test wickets.
- Thane named India’s Earth Hour Capital and Seol Global Earth Hour Capital
- An 11-member international jury has declared Thane the National Earth Hour Capital with the city emerging the winner from India in the Earth Hour City Challenge this year.
- On Thursday, the city represented India in the Global Earth Hour Capital Competition of 16 countries in Seoul. The host city was declared the winner and acknowledged as the Global Earth Hour Capital 2015.
- The year-long competition among cities is aimed at promoting renewable energy and preparing for climate change.
- EPFO suspends Rs 1,000 minimum monthly pension scheme
- Retirement fund body EPFO has suspended the Rs 1,000 minimum monthly pension scheme from this month, a decision which will hit about 32 lakh pensioners.
- The scheme was launched with effect from September 2014, hiking the pension amount to a flat Rs 1,000 per month for those who were getting lower amount earlier.
- With the suspension of the scheme, the beneficiaries will get pension at earlier rates.
- In a circular to its field offices, the Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) said it has decided to suspend the scheme in the absence of any direction from the government to continue this benefit beyond March 31.
- IndusInd Bank to Buy RBS’ India Jewellery Financing Business
- IndusInd Bank said it would buy Royal Bank of Scotland’s diamond and jewellery financing business in India and the related deposit portfolio.
- RBS India’s diamond and jewelery financing loan book is about Rs 4500 crore in size.
Read next : Daily GK Potion – 11th and 12th April 2015 ››
Read previous: « Daily GK Potion – 9th April 2015
« Back to current affairs